What We Believe IX Discipleship
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us because it did not know Him. Beloved now we are children of God and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. I John 3.1-3
- The word disciple is a verb or noun. It means to teach or be taught. A better word today might be mentored, or student.
- Most Christians fall in the trap that because they behave better than most people or better than they used to, that they are good enough! I Cor. 11.1
- According to church traditions Peter was never good enough. He ask not to be killed in the same manner as Our Lord, and was crucified upside down.
- Paul set the example of discipleship leadership I Cor. 11.1
- Attributes of our Lord that we should learn as a disciple.
- Compassion Matt. 9.35-38
- “Son of man” 81 times in N.T.
- “No one is good but one” Mt. 19.17
- Washing of the Apostles feet Jn. 13.5
- Death on the cross Ph.2.8
- Merciful Jn.8.10-11
- Submissive to God’s will Mt. 26.36-39
- Obedient Mt 3.13-17
- Knowledge and use of the Bible
- As a child in the Temple Lk.2.46-49
- During temptation Mt 4.4-11
- Cleansing of the Temple Mk 11. 15-17
- His Prayer life.
- Morning devotions Mk 1.35
- Death of John the Baptist Matt.14.13 & 22-23
- All night prayer Lu. 6.12
- At His baptism Lu.3.21-22
- How to be mentored by Christ (a true disciple)
- Know Him by reading the gospels
- Know His will for your life by reading 1.Read Acts and N.T. letters 2.Pray about direction in your life.3. Pray WWJD, WWJHMD